Saturday, April 11, 2015

Springtime in Wisconsin!

So, yesterday morning, I woke up to 6 inches of SNOW!  Yes, I said we had SIX INCHES OF SNOW on April 10!   That was some sort of cruel joke from Mother Nature, to be sure!  



This was taken out my bathroom window when I got up to get ready for work. We knew it was coming, but it was still pretty awful to wake up to that!  It was so wet and heavy, I almost needed 4 wheel drive to get out of the driveway!  It ended up being in the 50's all day, so even though everything had to be plowed for the morning commute, most of the snow had melted by the end of the day. There were just some bigger "piles" left by the plows that ended up melting today. 

By the way, today was GORGEOUS!  It was in the 60's, so I was able to take almost all of my houseplants outside and get them all cleaned up!  They really needed to have the dead stuff cut off/picked out and be rearranged a bit. The plants I had to take outside were mostly hanging plants.  I have a gorgeous spider plant with TONS of babies.  It's actually two different kinds of spiders that I combined a few years ago.  I bought a Hawaiian spider when I worked at the greenhouse (that one is a green spider, with variegated babies) and combined it with a variegated spider that I've had for over well over 10 years.  They're doing great together, but needed to be cleaned up a bit. I also cleaned up a pothos, a Marantha (prayer plant), a helicopter peperomia, a brazil philly, a curly hoya, a purple wandering Jew, and a Chinese evergreen (or Aglaonemia, for those that know plants).  I have one other plant that I need to take outside and work on -- a HUGE mican philly that's hanging in my bathroom, but is way too big for me to take down myself.  I'll need Greg to help me with that one.   It felt so good to be able to be outside and get some spring cleaning done!  

Speaking of spring . . . the foul outside are LOVING this warm weather!  I asked Greg to bring out the goose "pond" today (we stored it under the deck for the winter) and turn on the outside water.  Once the "pond" was filled up, I hollered for Rufus.  It didn't take long for him to realize that he had a pool to swim in!

  

Rufus spent at least 20 minutes in the pond just going crazy and washing off all the winter grime.  He was SO happy!  The female watching here has not been in the pool yet (we just got her over the winter) and was having a hard time getting in it.  I'm sure she'll make it in soon enough, because she was VERY curious and excited about it!  



It was so awesome to spend time outside watching the chickens, geese and ducks enjoying themselves in the warmth that is a spring day in North Central Wisconsin!  

We have a few hens that are VERY friendly and let you pick them up and pet them.  We got them as babies last year, so this was their first winter.  They managed just fine, even in the sub-zero temps we had.  


Hope everyone else had a great day!  

Blessings to all! 

Julie

No comments: